Thursday, June 25, 2009

Dead and dying

"Michael Jackson is a 5 asshole having, pterodactyl marrying, werewolf raping, baby dangler."

- Patton Oswalt

Every time someone near my age dies I start thinking about my own mortality. Michael Jackson was only a year younger than me, but his dying didn't make me think much. He was like a piece of fine china - a little to fragile to be human.

I always wanted the job of the guy who used to walk behind him holding the umbrella. If you can't go outdoors without an umbrella over your head, you're way too dainty. Although, I guess he only had one or two layers of skin left, so it stands to reason. The odd juxtaposition of always wearing a germ mask and having a pet chimpanzee is too bizarre to explain.

Now, as death often does, the bizarre stories of his life will come to light. What's the over/under for the number of posthumous biographies? I say ten before the end of the year. First though, the autopsy should be very interesting.

Michael Jackson died.
Now the stories will come out
of how weird he was.
Earlier, the news came out that the Academy Awards will be nominating ten films for best picture instead of the customary five. I don't like it. Like everything else, I'm thinking there's a money angle to this decision.
They think it means that more good films will be included, but I think it means that it's more likely that a great film will lose out due to a split vote. Why do people always think that more equals better? I suppose this means that the telecast will be six hours instead of the regular four.
Farrah Fawcett died today too. She was 62, so that doesn't make me think much, although she was probably in her late 50s when she got sick. I used to love the Charlie's Angels show, but only with the original three. Once Kate Jackson left I lost all interest in the show. To me, Kate was the babe of the bunch. Cute, thin, smart and she had that raspy voice. I rarely make the obvious choice. Mary Ann (Gilligan's Island) Shirley (Laverne and Shirley) Janet (Three's Company) and Mindy (Mork and Mindy).
Nanu nanu, bitches.

3 comments:

junior alien said...

Concerning Jacko one should distinguish between his long musical career, the great pop songs he composed, the influence he had on other artists on the one hand and his immense psychological disorder on the other hand which made him do these pathetic things, above all the never-ending series of face jobs until he finally had that zombie antic.

Farrah Fawcett's death is sad too, of course, but she too had the surgeons cut up her face. In her case it was in order to look "younger".

I think that ageing in dignity and plastic surgery are very hard to combine. And why the effort? As we have seen again, "every life death doth end."
Man, I love my grey hairs (slowly becoming grey hair) and the growing crinkles!

Anthony said...

Part of Jacko's legacy is that the allegations of child abuse didn't stick to him. That's one of the worst things one can be accused of and for some reason he still had legions of fans.

I'm not sure how many of those songs he composed. I think he lived off of R. Kelly and Quincy Jones. As far as songwriting is concerned, I'm not sure how much he actually did.

I wasn't one, but I understood the fascination. The same way people are drawn to daytime TV and Republicans.

junior alien said...

I just checked Jackson's "History" album. Allegedly he wrote and composed most of the songs himself. The earlier ones were produced by Quincy Jones, of course.

I was never a Michael Jackson fan but I like some of his songs.
I don't know what to think about the allegations concerning the child abuse. The way the media presented it around here made you wander if the families of the abused or not children were trying queeze the highest posssible amount of money out of Jackson. But really, I don't know.