Thursday, April 16, 2009

Call me when you're finished reading this.

Was today "National Talk on Your Cell Phone While Driving Day" and I missed it? Somebody needs to let me know about these things so I can celebrate along with the rest of the world. Seriously, the unenforceable law we have in New Jersey that bans cell phone use while driving seemed to have died a merciful death today, as I saw at least 10 percent of the drivers yakking on my drive home - including one jackass who talked for a full ten minutes in my rear-view mirror.
HERE'S A HINT FOR LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT: Take the law off the books because you clearly have lost the handle. People talk with one eye on the road, an ear to the phone and the other eye looking for your police cars. It ain't working.
For those of you who have teenage drivers licensed in the state, you're about to encounter another little dose from Big Brother. Your kids are going to be issued little decals that identify them as Teen Drivers because some kid named Kyleigh was killed by a teen aged driver a while ago. I am left to wonder how a decal on an auto will improve safety. It strikes me as assuming guilt before innocence and yet another knee-jerk law pushed through with a name on it - "Kyleigh's Law" - that is supposed to make us think that the state has our best interests at heart. What it does mostly, is make criminals out of people before they've committed a crime and creates another class of drivers who have to navigate with one eye on the road and the other over their shoulder. They will also be banned from using hands-free cell phones while driving, which merely confuses teenagers who have probably seen their parents talking on the phone while driving.

2 comments:

susan said...

I cannot stand women who put on their make up when they drive.

It's bad enough to put mascara on in the privacy of your home- but to put it on when driving, and not poke out an eye- wow.

Anthony, I guess the next law we have to look forward to from dear Gov Corzine- would be Bambi's law. Because all those baby deer get killed by big old cars and cannot defend themselves..... we won't be able to drive certain times of the year.

I love my state. I just hate the politicians. Where or where have you gone, Millicent Fenwick? I miss you.

susan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.