Saturday, March 28, 2009

Another day closer to the end of civilization.

I see the worst in people. I don't need to look past seeing them to get all I need. I've built my hatreds up over the years, little by little, Henry. I can't keep doing this on my own with these ... people. [laughs]
Daniel Plainview - "There Will Be Blood"
Today is Respect Your Cat Day or something like that. That's every day around here, but it's nice to know that someone thought to include them in the calendar. The more human interaction I have, the more I respect my cat and animals in general, and the less I have for people.
At the gym today, a nearby jackass left 8 45-pound plates on the leg press machine and walked away. One presumes that since he was strong enough to put them on he would have been equally strong enough to take them off. That's the gym etiquette. Loud enough to hear, I said, "Take the Goddamned plates off when you're done!" but he couldn't hear me because he was wearing the Universal Sign of No Self-Awareness: The ear bud headset. Get that crap out of your head and pay attention. If it were up to me, his ass would be outdoors. There's a waiting list to get into River Winds and we don't need people like that as members.
Later, in the locker room, another thoughtless jackass decided to wring out his wet bathing suit in the middle of the floor. Just what I wanted: to stand in his pool grey water and get dressed. As it was, I had a two-foot square to try to stand, balance on one foot and put my pants on without littering the inside of the pant leg with Mister Pool's Used Underwear Water. It's another skill I've developed in living amongst the humans.
The trip to the grocery store is always a fascinating Petri Dish of undeveloped humanity. First, it's a race against the bagger while I put my items on the conveyor and try to get to the end with my canvas bag while proclaiming, "I have a bag!" two or three times. This time I was late, and the bagger already had 2 items in the (ugh) yellow plastic devices. I got to the end of the line and said, "I have a bag. I don't want the plastic." I repeated "I don't want the plastic" three more times as she placed the plastic bag inside the canvas one I had provided. Either she didn't speak English or just decided to ignore me completely. Whatever, I had to remove the two items from the plastic myself and place them in the canvas. Meanwhile, she had moved on to another aisle, feeling as though her work here was done.
Upon leaving, I'm continually fascinated by the lazy asses who park in the Fire Lane while their equally lazy counterparts go inside "for a few things." Today, there were several nearby parking spaces just across the driveway. After skirting around one inconsiderate Lexus driver - whose driver went inside and left the passenger - I pointed and exclaimed, "There's a parking space right there!"
I really get tired of dealing with these ... people.

2 comments:

susan said...

So give up on people Anthony, and lavish lots of affection on the cat!

Thank you for posting a new Kitty picture. He is a handsome cat!

junior alien said...

The truth, and nothing but the truth - so no comment necessary yet oh so marvelously put into words! You should be awarded a medal. But by whom - by PEOPLE?