Wednesday, January 28, 2009

What are we teaching these kids?

SEE PHOTO AT RIGHT:
As a frame of reference, this is how much snow it takes to close schools in Southern New Jersey.
That's the view from my front porch at precisely 7:01am today. (Breathtaking, ain't it?) You can't tell, but the overnight snow had already changed over to rain and the schools had been closed for a few hours already - much to the glee of parents everywhere, who are now either stuck at home with their rotten kids or forced to find a place to store them so they can go to work.
You're right if you think it's about an inch of snow.
It was enough to send people into a mild panic and cause drivers of 4-wheel drive vehicles to drive slower than people in regular automobiles - like me.
You're right if you're asking yourself why they bothered to buy the damned thing if they're going to drive it 15 miles per hour in an inch of snow.
I yell at them through my windshield.
It rained the rest of the day and it's raining a little even now, at 8:15pm. That means that the roads will be skating rinks tomorrow morning when the temperature goes down to 22 degrees overnight.
The schools will be open.
You figure it out.
I'll be stuck behind a guy in a Hummer doing 12.
Yelling at my windshield.

4 comments:

susan said...

You are just upset that your kid's Kittengarden class wasn't cancelled and you could spend a day home with him watching squirrels and taking cat naps.

I live on the second floor too, and have a balcony with bird feeders on it. Better for bird watching the higher up you are, or so I have been told or meowed.

NJ isn't like it was when we were kids where you would go to school in the snow with 12 inches and all, just delay the schools by two hours opening.

Or we would walk to school in 12 inches of snow...

Kate Michele said...

Hey!!! what no picture comparing what Ohio had to what you had? man o man i feel left out. :-P

xoxox

kimmyk said...

Like I said, we got a shit ton of snow...schools were closed yesterday and last night they canceled for today. Thankfully I don't have to worry about where they will go or whose taking care of them. I always hated those days...

I'd hate to be drunk coming home and try to make it up those stairs. Or try to get a bike down 'em....

Firestarter5 said...

We received a shit-ton of snow as well, and nothing was closed, which surprised me since the roads here were a complete disaster.