Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Another day older and deeper in debt (a little anyway)

So, this is how the blog looks on a keen 20" wide screen Dell LCD monitor? We got a bunch of these at work, and I was so impressed that I had to get one for myself. Mostly, I was impressed because they're kind of inexpensive and partly because I felt so "behind the curve" with my old 17" monitor. It's so 20th Century, but then, so am I.
Meanwhile, a snowstorm of epic proportions is coming to New Jersey tonight. We might get 2 inches before it changes to rain and becomes a regular storm. I'm guessing that the grocery stores are jammed and all those shoppers with the giant SUVs are in a panic-stricken "must buy food" mode because they fear being snowed-in, making their expensive purchase useful.
I've been wondering what I should buy to commemorate that great day last Tuesday, when Barack Obama became the 44th president. There's a lot of junk available, as you'd figure. Tonight, while mailing a package to a loved one, I spied this little deal at the Post Office. It's a commemorative Folio:
Preserve the thrill of a historic event with this souvenir keepsake from the U.S. Postal Service®. Issued to commemorate the inauguration of America’s 44th President, this elegant folio includes:
Collectible stamped envelope with silk portraits of President–Elect Barack Obama and Vice President–Elect Joe Biden and a commemorative color postmark.
Photographs and biographical information.
Brief commentary on inaugural tradition and history.
Presidential oath of office.
I'm not sure it really "preserves the thrill of the event," but I thought it was more dignified than the painted coins and commemorative throw blankets that I've seen bandied about. I think it might actually be "an" historic event, but I quibble. Whatver, I'm so happy I could spit.

6 comments:

susan said...

Wow, large monitor. Is it bigger for kitty to sleep on top of too?
The post office memorobilia looks good for my nephew.

Yep about the snow storm. As long as we have milk, toilet paper, kitty litter and kitty food-= let it snow!

Anthony said...

It's only a half-inch wide. If Kitty can sleep on it, he has a special skill. :)

susan said...

Kitties are like Ninjas. There isn't anything they cannot do except open cans of tuna, and change their litter boxes.

They can sleep anywhere. It's called "monorail Kitteh".

Check out LOL Cheezeburger.

kimmyk said...

My monitor bit the dust last fall and Jamie bought me a new one. Wide screen but somehow smaller but he says it's the same size. I dunno. I want a big ass monitor that you can see across the room.

I haven't been to the post office in a very long time. I don't even know whats on a current stamp these days. Or honestly, how much a stamp is...I need to get out more.

I'm sure that lil piece of history will indeed be "history" one day. Just make sure you remember where you put it...

Kate Michele said...

Well damnit babe you ruined my Valentines gift for you!!! Now im gonna have to take this trow blanket back. jesus cant catch a freaking break :-P

seriously, the post office has some neat stuff anymore. its like hospital gift shops. all kinds of junk you just dont see anywhere else.

XXXXXX

Anonymous said...

I just don't get the stuff that is offered with the guy's picture on it. Why is it a big deal that another crooked politician got one over on us voters. I pray that he is better than "w" but I am afraid that he is cut from the same cloth as all the other yahoos in office currently. Not seeing much hope and change from "business as usual" in Washington.