Tuesday, January 6, 2009

iCarumba!

On my visit to the local shopping mall tonight, iSaw an iPod vending machine at Macy's. Actually, it was a Sony vending machine, because inside was a PSP, camera, headphones and all of those various iPod accessories that iPod owners are told that they can't live without.
iHave always felt that iCan live without an iPod, but for some reason (known only to the Sony marketing people) iFound myself strangely drawn to this machine. iDon't particularly desire an iPod, but seeing it in a vending machine made me want one. iWondered how many of them they sell and why it seemed like it would be more fun to buy one this way than to interact with a human.
However, after iStarted touching the screen and found out that the high-capacity ones are still $250, iRealized why the machine shouldn't influence my spending habits. Sure, they had the little 1 gigabyte mini (that iWould probably lose in the laundry) but that seems to me like a gateway iPod, and iWould soon be spending the two-fitty for something that iCould load-up with some stuff.
As a frame of reference, my entire 37" LCD television cost $800. The screen is about ten thousand times larger than the iPod's and (to quote Ron White) "it picks up signals from outer fucking space!" How do they get away with charging $250 for these gadgets? iBet the profit margin is something like $240.
What was even more noticeable than the iPod machine was the total lack of humanity at the mall. iCouldn't get a good softball game started with the people in there. iGuess it must be that economic crisis iKeep hearing about. Store clerks were leaning on their counters and wondering what happened to all of those gift cards people got for Christmas.
iBroke the spell check.

8 comments:

kimmyk said...

iHave a mini iPod and iCan't find it. Last time iSaw it was like 2 years ago.

Anthony said...

Thanks. See what you made me do?

You're a bad influence.

susan said...

I have an ipod and iCan't live without it.

But I got it refurbished at the Apple store in Menlo Park.

But then I am a Mac enthusiast- and I drool twice a year when Steve Jobs announces his new crop of Apples.

Kate Michele said...

iNeed the purple nano.
no other reason really other than its purple and would match me :-P

my macys iPod vending machine was empty when i was there christmas shopping, it was shocking to me actually, which made me feel good that stuff can still shock me, ya know? :D

xxxx

Anthony said...

The prices were the only thing that shocked me.

Oh, and there was a Garmin gadget in there too. Some kind of navigation device you wear like a wrist watch.
it probably directs you to where you left the iPod mini.

kimmyk said...

nuh huh. it would? sonofabitch.

i been thinkin of getting a navigation thingamajig but i dont go anywhere so....why? yeah, no.

i bet my iPod has killer songs on wherever it is.

Handsome B. Wonderful said...

iLove how you used the "i" with everything. iAm trying to avoid getting an iPod. iThink i can do iT.

Anonymous said...

I have a teeny, tiny mp3 player I bought almost a year ago. I can't figure out how to use it. Seriously. I feel terrible that I paid over $100 for something that's just rotting in a basket on my night stand. Worse yet, the last time I fished it out I discovered I'd tossed a Werther's candy in there and it had melted all over the player. So now it probably doesn't work. Not that I'd ever know, since I can't figure it out.

Sherry