Sunday, September 7, 2008

For those with the need of another hole in their head

I'm sitting here with Kitty beneath my feet - as usual, if you're scoring at home - and I just finished watching a TV program that said cats have almost no frontal lobe in their brains, meaning that they pretty much remember the present and recent past, and place no emphasis on what happened years ago and have no compulsary emotions other than to react to current events.
If that is the case (and who am I to doubt what I see on TV?) then I suppose I can take heart in knowing that the only place the cat wants to be, based on nothing other than his base emotions, is near my feet, sleeping with his paws in the air. There's something comforting in that, and something I wish more humans had - at least the humans I'd like to have around me.
Maybe we could extract a little frontal lobe from a few people? Isn't that what happened to McMurphy in "One Flew Over the Cukoo's Nest?" It seemed to quiet him down.

The executive functions of the frontal lobes involve the ability to recognize future consequences resulting from current actions, to choose between good and bad actions (or better and best), override and suppress unacceptable social responses, and determine similarities and differences between things or events.
The frontal lobes also play an important part in retaining longer term memories which are not task-based.

5 comments:

kimmyk said...

at times i wish i had a frontal lobotomy to forget some of the events/people from my past.

kitty has it good. and another good thing-kitty doesn't remember being sick and taking meds last year.

bonus!

that makes me feel better for kitty.

i wonder if dogs are the same. any know on that one wikianthony?

Anthony said...

The same show said that dogs had less than humans but more than cats.

Handsome B. Wonderful said...

Living in the present is the focus of Zen/Buddhism and is a teaching that has greatly helped me.

Don't think I'm preaching to anyone. I just wanted to add to the conversation and this is all I have today. I'll be better on my game next time. :)

Anthony said...

No worries. Just look at the post and you'll see that I didn't have much to add either! :)

Kate Michele said...

i would think it safe to say that dogs have more than some people :D
btw did you see the republican convention? i dont know what made me think of that :D

xoxox