Monday, April 21, 2008

What else is new?

Fortune magazine just released the latest Fortune 500. The top 10 is dominated by big oil, credit cards and automobiles. Happy Earth Day.
10. AT&T
Evil empire Wal-Mart is at the top. For all the whining I hear about their unfair labor practices and the various lawsuits filed against them, one thing remains constant: We like low prices. So much so that we're willing to overlook some labor injustice because toilet paper is twelve cents a roll. That's why I don't get too worked up over such nonsense. The reason the prices are so low is because they (a) don't pay high salaries and (b) don't waste money on benefits for their workers. When I stop seeing them at the top of these lists I'll start thinking that people are finally paying attention. Meanwhile, my conscience is clear because I don't shop there.
It's also no surprise that two companies making fuel-consuming motor vehicles and three companies making the fuel are in there. Round it out with Citi and BOA, and you have the final side of the great triangle of life. For everything we hear about the choking price of oil and the consuming credit card debt I don't see much that makes me think that people are changing their behavior. I think we're only happy when we're miserable.
OK, so that's all kind of depressing. Here's some good news:
Frequent masturbation may help men cut their risk of contracting prostate cancer, Australian researchers have found. It is believed that carcinogens may build up in the prostate if men do not ejaculate regularly, BBC News reported on Wednesday. The researchers surveyed more than 1,000 men who had developed prostate cancer, and 1,250 men who had not. They found that men who had ejaculated the most between the ages of 20 and 50 were the least likely to get cancer. Men who ejaculated more than five times each week were a third less likely to develop prostate cancer.
Five times a week? I'll have to quit my job.

No comments: