Wednesday, October 3, 2007

The exciting conclusion

I'm one of those weirdos who stays and reads the credits after the movie is over. Sue me, I like to know where it was shot and what the names of the songs are that were part of the soundtrack. Occasionally, I'll get a little bonus, like when I saw The Great Outdoors - which needed as many bonuses as it could hand out.
The movie ends (don't ask me how, but I think Dan Aykroyd and Annette Bening moved in with John Candy and Stephanie Faracy) and the credits are rolling. My date and I (hey, it was 1988) sat transfixed on the list of co-stars and the exotic filming location. Right after the part where that little seal comes up signifying the end of the reel, there's a vignette with the raccoons that spent most of the film rummaging through Candy's garbage. There's some joke, I forgot what it was, but afterward I looked around and we were the only two patrons left in the theater. One usher looked over at the other and said, "I won. There were two people left," implying that they had some wager over whether or not anyone would still be there when the raccoons appeared. With me there, it was easy money.
I think that partly explains my fascination with absorbing ambiance and staying with things until completion. I don't leave games early and I don't leave concerts before the encore - unless the show sucked.
That's why I like to get to games and shows early. I want to absorb the feel of the place and work my way into a game, and when it's over I'm not in a big hurry to run out. I'd rather linger a bit and reflect on what I saw. For some, they just want to "turn on" the game at the beginning and turn it off at the end. My friend is like that. When we watch games on TV together, he flips it off as the last out is being made. No post-game show, no pre-game show ... just game. For me, that's cutting it way too close. I don't know the inner make-up of people like that, but he's an engineer, so maybe that tells you all you need to know.
We watched Talladega Nights together, and I didn't realize that there were more jokes during the credit roll, since he flipped it off just as Ricky and his family were headed back to Applebee's. I had to see it on HBO to find out what I missed. I love stuff like that. I watch the deleted scenes on DVD and listen to the commentaries. I'm geeky that way.
I remember going to games with my dad, and we would always arrive for batting practice. He just liked to sit and watch, relax and take the place in. There's something charming in that I think. Moreso than just running in for the first pitch and running out after the last one.
We have at least one more game to attend this season. Today, the Phillies host the first game of the Divisional series against the Colorado Rockies. It's at 3:00pm, and I'm going to make it clear that I do not want a repeat performance of Sunday. I'll go myself and meet him there if I have to, but I'm not arriving 10 minutes before game time, struggling through traffic and parking in Broomall. You probably don't want that, either. You'll end up with another 4-part post, which is more than either of us can stand.
So, watch me. I'm going to put my foot down.
Really.

5 comments:

annabkrr said...

I agree with you completely! I can't stand being a rush.

Those times with your dad sound really cool.

Susan said...

you know, you could go ahead and buy the women's sneakers - provided you find your size - down with shoe genders!! :)

Anonymous said...

Uh oh...I'm kind of like your buddy. I'll usually flip the tv off or turn it to Cops the second the game is over :)

rattln along said...

I will stay through the whole game and credits at a movie but if I am watching a game on TV, I turn it off because I really hate the pregame and postgame shows. They all seem pretentious to me and I really don't care that much about the other games or players. I am a one team guy and I don't really care about the other teams. Give me a good game and I am happy.

Laura said...

we always stay and read the credits too. darling husband used to be in the biz and knows that every name counts.
how cool to see the phillies in the playoffs! i hope you got to the game without all the drama this time.