Tuesday, December 12, 2006

You Sure Ask a Lot of Questions for Someone from New Jersey

I ask myself many questions. I don’t get many answers, but that doesn’t keep me from asking. One I asked myself today was, “Would it be considered ‘justifiable homicide’ if I killed the guy who installed our MUZAK system at work?” I asked myself this after hearing Andy Williams sing “Happy Holidays” for the six-billionth time.

Maybe I don't want to kill him as much as I just want to smack him in the back of the head and tell him how he has contributed to the destruction of thousands of brain cells. Don’t turn your back on me, Mr. MUZAK installation guy.

How many different times can I hear “Jingle Bells” or “Frosty the Snowman” before it starts to work on my subconscious, and I am no longer responsible for my actions? Apparently, the music industry (and the MUZAK industry) feels as though we need one more version of “The Little Drummer Boy” – reggae mix, jazz mix, punk mix, pizzicato string mix or Bowie and Bing mix – but here it is, merely the 12th of December, and I’m all parum-pa-pum-pum’ed out.

Meanwhile…

There's a line from the movie "Cool Hand Luke" that goes, "What we have here is failure to communicate. Some folks, you just can't reach.” Some of my Blogger buddies have them, and I had one of those moments at the lunch table today.

A co-worker was bemoaning the fact that Christmas (the holiest of all holidays) falls on a Monday. The moaning came when he said that he'd like to have the day after Christmas off, in addition to the day itself.

I looked at him quizzically (as I often do) and replied with my own question.

"So, what do you do on July 5th, or the day after Memorial Day? Don't you have picnics and parties on the holidays? Why doesn't it bother you that you don't have the day after those days off?"

He failed to see my logic, and could only reply with, "Christmas is different", which isn't an argument, it's just a statement. Of course, it's different, but why is it different? He couldn't articulate his point or answer my question, so we moved on.

Maybe I’m just not a big Christmas guy, since I really don’t get it. I didn’t want to get into an argument with the guy, since it was just an opinion, but I failed to see the point. Tell me, dear readers … Is it different? If so, why? If not, why not?

And…

You have one day left to make a bet with your friends that I am sure you will win. What’s the bet? I’m glad you asked. I get tired of asking all the questions around here.

The bet is that Rocky will die in the latest Rocky movie. What is it, Rocky Six Billion? Whatever. He’s going down, and he’s going down hard. He’ll die right in front of his kid in that fight that they’re showing on the TV commercials.
I’m not spoiling the ending because I don’t know the ending, I’m merely speculating. Maybe it’s a gut feeling or maybe it’s wishful thinking.

The movie premieres in Hollywood next Wednesday, so get your bets down.

5 comments:

Will Teullive said...

Rocky can't die yet...we still haven't been treated to "Rocky, The Miami Beach Retirement Years".

The only fight he should be having right now is with arthritis.

Sparky Duck said...

Rocky wont die because everyone will think he will die. The question will be where will the movie fall in the box office for the weekend, im saying #3.

As for your coworker, tell him he should be happy, since he probably has Christmas eve off, which is different for most.

Anthony said...

Sparky: You're giving Stallone a lot of credit. It will be interesting to see the public's reaction to the film. I'm guessing the Iwo Jima movie is tops for that weekend.

I don't know if everyone thinks he will die, but everyone might WANT him to.

supergirlest said...

do you hear that? i think i hear the wahhhhmbulance coming for your co-worker! :) you know, back in the bar biz - we were open everyday of the year. i never had a holiday off... hmmmm...

THERE'S ANOTHER ROCKY MOVIE!?!?! the things i learn from your questions! i'm ashamed to admit i've never seen a one of them.

i feel for you on the muzac tip. it's even worse with the christmas songs. it's just. mean.

Catherine said...

Our current Muzak feed is only dead people (it's a corporate required thing). It was ok until John Denver died.
I'd honestly prefer Jingle Bells. Have I ever told you it's my favorite song? Can I sing it for you?

Turn up your volume.