Friday, December 15, 2006

Don't waste your time reading this.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Americans will spend nearly 10 hours a day watching television, surfing the Internet, reading books, newspapers and magazines and listening to music this year, the U.S. Census Bureau said on Friday.

In its "Statistical Abstract of the United States: 2007" released on Friday, the agency also noted that Americans drink about a gallon of soda a week, along with a half gallon each of milk, bottled water, coffee and beer.
All of which may help explain another figure in the pages of the 1,300-page book of tables and statistics: About two-thirds of Americans are overweight, including one-third of whom are obese.

I wonder where these numbers come from? Let's do a little mathematics - very little, since I know you want to get back to your Internet activities.

Six hours sleep. I know we're supposed to say eight, but...really... and 10 ... That's 16 hours, plus at least 8 hours at work leaves us zero. I realize that some of those activities can be done together, but sleep and work are separate, unless you work in our federal government or at the Springfield Nuclear Power Plant.
Not everyone works, but it does say "Americans", so I have to believe it's some sort of composite.

What did we do with all that free time before we had the Internet to surf? Maybe we were out doing things like exercise or anything that doesn't involve sitting on our asses.
Over 90 million obese Americans. That's a lot of people, and since they're really fat, they take up almost twice as much space, too, so it's almost like 180 million.

I guess, we don't do much else. As for me, I've been sitting here for 3 hours, and now I have to get up to go watch the TV.

Of course, this is the same government who tells us the gas mileage that our cars get, so I suppose we should apply the phrase "for what it's worth" to the figures.

And, if you feel that 10 hours just isn't enough, here is a list of the Fifteen Best Places to Waste Time on the Web. My blog is not listed. Perhaps it's number 16?

Feeling a little stressed from holiday shopping?
Cocteau Twins
"Carolyn's Fingers"

3 comments:

supergirlest said...

another alarming statistic - given that 10 of those hours also include time for reading - is that it is projected within ten years, if current reading trends stay the same, no one will be reading books for pleasure. :(

Pam said...

Since I never get interviewed for any of these "surveys," I highly suspect the results.

Kara - does reading blogs count as "reading for pleasure"?

GREAT video!!

kimmyk said...

I'm online way more than I use to be. I blame this on my blogroll.

If I wasn't blogging I'd be eating and watching tv and making my ass bigger.

blogger has become away of exercise y'know if ya think about it. I'm not eating. My fingers are moving, I'm laughing. I gotta be expelling some sort of calories somewhere.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.