Monday, November 20, 2006

Some Good - and Bad Ideas

Almost anything for a buck.

After a firestorm of criticism, News. Corp. said Monday that it has canceled the O.J. Simpson book and TV special "If I Did It." "I and senior management agree with the American public that this was an ill-considered project," said Rupert Murdoch, News Corp. chairman. "We are sorry for any pain that this has caused the families of Ron Goldman and Nicole Brown Simpson."
A dozen Fox affiliates had already said they would not air the two-part sweeps month special, planned for next week before the Nov. 30 publication of the book by ReganBooks. The publishing house is a HarperCollins imprint owned — like the Fox network — by News Corp.

Finally, someone came to their senses. But why did it take a "firestorm of criticism"? Can't reasonable-thinking, intelligent people make those kinds of decisions for themselves, without the backlash of the public? No? Well, we are talking about Murdoch and News Corp. -- which should explain a lot.

Meanwhile...
Over at the U.S. Mint, they are replacing an unpopular dollar coin with another unpopular dollar coin [pictured above], only this one will be a "collectible", like the little quarters that more people save than spend. Can George Washington and Thomas Jefferson succeed where Susan B. Anthony and Sacagawea failed? No. Unless you make them collectibles and encourage large numbers of Americans to put them on cardboard coin boards.
Washington, Jefferson and Adams will be the first presidents on the new dollar coins, scheduled to start appearing in soda machines and METRO kiosks in February of 2007.
They say they would save $500,000 if the government stopped printing paper dollars and changed to coins. Phooey. Those folks at the Mint have no idea what this is going to do to the strip club business. Ever try putting one of these coins in a G-string? There's only one place they will fit, and I ain't going there without rubber gloves!
How about coin condoms? Get the guys at the Trojan factory on that one.

And finally, a really good idea...
If you believe there is too much killing in the modern world, you might consider shedding your clothes and engaging in passionate sex on Friday, December 22. It's worldwide Orgasm Day ... mark your calendars.
Think I'm kidding? Click here and see for yourself.

Mark your calendar and get your dollar coins ready.

7 comments:

Kate Michele said...

I'm not worried about the dollar coins...I mean If I were stripping I'd be getting something bigger than a dollar bill!!!! I'm just saying...

Dec 22nd.. marked!! Now thats something I can so to help out with world peace!!!

kimmyk said...

Good lord don't spread that around December 22nd. Let's keep that under wraps, mmkay?

Carmen said...

i think we should be a bit more selective about what presidents can be on those coins.

Anthony said...

carmen: the only requirement is that they have to be dead for 2 years. Kinda minimal, I think. Nixon will be on one, as will Lincoln and Franklin Roosevelt.

kate & kimmyk: I'll be sure to post a reminder on the 21st, so you can prepare. :)

Ladyred said...

Yes I am (sort of) living in a cave as finals are here so I haven't heard much about this OJ book but when I did (last night) I was appalled (sp?) that....well let's just say I am horrified at the whole idea. I saw a little of Nancy Grace last night before the power went out (I really don't like HER but there was a fill-in) and I was trying to understand the people WANTING this book and interview done. Anyway, I won't comment more because frankly I don't know much about the whole thing.

As for the dollar coin, um I still have the OTHER unpopular dollar coin which I am afraid to use because the first time I did they insisted it was a damn quarter!

As for your non-sequiter comment, no apologies necessary, I welcome any and most all comments (unless you are trashing me or something then I'd have to start tearin something up). I don't know too much about the statistical side of football (and I prefer the professional versus college which I best not say that around here) but fantasy football helps with the learning. I love it. If I had no other good players I made sure I chose LT as my running back. I'm second in my division (of three) and tied for 3rd in the league of six so I'm doing alright for a girl! I had a rough start though, but I wanted LT on my team if no one and he's smoking hot! Now I'm ok with half naked chics in skimpy or shredded jerseys (I have one myself but wouldn't look near as hot and it's of course no special number) but it's almost sacrilegious to put her in his T like that.

Wow I used to live in the Washington Twp/Sewell area as a kid.......ok gotta go hogging up your comment board hehe

HOpe I haven't jinxed my FF team, I so need to make #1 at least in my division of all men....

Catherine said...

what baffles me is that in a few days of outrage the OJ book is fish wrapping paper, but BUSH is still in office. what gives? I've been outraged for a long freaking time, and know of at least a few others who have felt the same way. OJ out, Dubbya stays? OJ only killed TWO people.

Anthony said...

catherine: I couldn't agree more. How does something like a book about a murder garner so much attention, when the loss of so many lives...