Monday, August 15, 2011

Maybe I think too much?

I shouldn't use the salad bar or go to buffet restaurants, but I do anyway. I can't help but think about how infected the buffet spoons and salad tongs are as I pick them up and shovel food onto my plate. We don't give it a second thought, but I think about it when I see the end of the spoon or tong lying in the food in the adjacent container. Sometimes the entire serving device is lying in the food, which makes me think that someone should replace the serving device and, for that matter, the food that the handle has contacted.

It's irrational, I know, because our immune system is built on fending off bacteria. That's why I think hand sanitizers are the biggest scam perpetrated on the American public since Lite beer. Part of me relishes the opportunity for my body to fight off bacteria-ridden salad tongs, but I am similarly grossed-out by the idea that someone's recently nose-picked finger has handled a plastic device that I am using to scoop up some chickpeas.

I'm conflicted.

No comments: