Saturday, May 17, 2008

Let the punishment fit the crime.

EASTON, Pa. - Sally Ann Gombocz, 51, a former Bethlehem woman, will serve up to 23 months in prison for having her 7-year-old son dress as a Cub Scout to collect money for a nonexistent cause.
Gombocz had her son dress as a scout in 2003 and tell people he was raising money for a camping trip. A prosecutor says the family collected $69.
Gombocz was sentenced Friday to six to 23 months in the county jail. She also was fined $2,000, ordered to perform community service, take parenting classes, have psychological counseling and submit to random urine screens. She also must pay restitution.
First, 2003? Whatever happened to a speedy trial? That seems like an awful punishment for something so ridiculous. I'm thinking there's more here than meets the eye.
After all, Sally Ann wasn't doing anything more than Burger King or McDonald's does when they promote a movie for kids. They tie-in a fictional plot to some food item and encourage the kids to whine until their parents drag them into the joint for a burger and fries.
Then, in December we lie to them so that they behave themselves (allegedly) and tell them that a fat guy with a beard brings them junk that they have seen on TV and whine about until their parents buy it for them.
Whatever the method, it's big corporations using children to get their parents to part with money to make the corporations more wealthy. It sounds to me like dressing a kid as a Cub Scout and collecting 69 bucks is kind of like a parking ticket compared to the billions they drag out of us.
Now, if she had dressed the kid as a Girl Scout, maybe the urine test wouldn't be a bad idea.

5 comments:

Kate Michele said...

hmmm wonder if i dress up in something if i cant raise gas money... oh wait that might be a whole other crime :D

2003... what could she of needed the money so bad for back then? 68$?... back in them days she could of gotten a whole hell of alot... hahaha

Steve said...

It doesn't surprise me, I went to High School with Danna Gombocz...she was in with an odd crowd during those High School days...got to feel bad for that little kid(didn't know she had a brother).

People do really stupid things for money.....I am sure this story is far from being over.

Anthony said...

I saw another article that hinted that there was a history of drug abuse, hence the drug testing.

People do strange things when a dollar sign is attached.

Anonymous said...

This is Sally Gombocz the Boy Scout Scam Mom..... During the entire time of this ordeal for me only one person I went to high school with went to my house and asked what the real deal was.. All I have to say to the rest of my so called friends Hope you never end up on the wrong side of the law because then you begin to realize how real justice works and it isn't for the person with little or no money.... Who the hell is this Steve person??????????

Anthony said...

I don't know Sally, I'm just the messenger.
My blog has had quite a few hits over this story lately. Seems a little late to me.

Whatever Sally, I think you've seen first hand that justice is not equal under the law.

So, I'm guessing that you never served the 23 months or you're reading from prison.