Wednesday, December 19, 2007

A golden shower from Catholics for "The Golden Compass"

VATICAN CITY (Reuters) - The Vatican on Wednesday condemned the film "The Golden Compass," which some have called anti-Christian, saying it promotes a cold and hopeless world without God. "In Pullman's world, hope simply does not exist, because there is no salvation but only personal, individualistic capacity to control the situation and dominate events," the editorial said.
Wow, only "personal control"? That sounds positively wonderful! So, let's see if I have this straight ... In Pullman's World we don't have to hold out in hopes that some mystical creature will satisfy our needs and wants. We have control over our own destiny without the outside influence of something that may or may not be (in quotes) real. We have the power to dominate events and not some other-worldly faith-based invention that controls our thoughts and deeds.
The U.S.-based Catholic League, a conservative group, has urged Christians not to see the movie, saying that its objective was "to bash Christianity and promote atheism" to children. The Vatican newspaper called the movie "the most anti-Christmas film possible" and said that it was "consoling" that its first weekend ticket sales were a disappointing $26 million.
Let me tell you, I played in that Catholic League and they're full of players that couldn't cut it in the real world. They're such a stuck-up bunch that they rejoice in the failure of others. That sounds anti-Christian to me.
I think I've said it here before, but it bears repeating. What kind of faith is it that can be so threatened by a movie? Is Christianity that flimsy a concept that a film about personal control and ... dare I say it ... anti-Christmas sentiments can shake up the movement? Apparently it is.
I don't know about you, but I just moved "The Golden Compass" to the top of my MUST SEE movie list.
And, don't look now, but the concept of Christmas is about as anti-Christian as you can get. Can someone at The Vatican tell me what is Christian about lighting up your house, decorating a dead tree in your living room, exchanging expensive gifts that wind up being mini-competitions and parading a fat guy around in a red suit with a fake beard telling children that "I'm watching you" and (basically) scaring them into being nice so that they can get stuff.
Tell me, please, because that's what Christmas is and I don't think it's Christian at all. It's drawn from Paganism and Druid beliefs that happen to fit in with the worldly viewpoint that greed is good.
I think, what The Vatican is really frightened about is that people might start thinking for themselves and making their own decisions about their lives. As far as organized religion is concerned, that's about as threatening a concept as anyone can teach.
Merry Christmas, pagans.

6 comments:

Firestarter5 said...

Religion. The greatest business ever devised.

the Book of Keira said...

GAWD. LOL.

Make yourself (and myself) laugh and come play the Great Amazon.com Customer Product Review over at the108!

Anonymous said...

Mommy, the kids at school have been saying there's no such thing as Santa. I always believed in Santa. He has a beard and he loves kids. Is Santa real?

Well, Bobby, now that you're 11 I suppose it's time to tell you. Although the "Spirit of Christmas" is real, Santa Clause is make-believe. It's a made-up story to make Christmas more fun. Didn't we have fun at Christmas?

Yes, we had fun waiting for Santa. But he's not real, huh? What about Jesus?

Anthony said...

The kid will have to wait a lot longer for Jesus, and the result might not be as satisfying. At least the make-believe Santa gives you shit. Plus, he gives it to you now, not after a lifetime of faith-based guilt over bad behavior and wresting you of 10% of your annual salary. That's a big investment, or as David Letterman used to say, "it's a long way to go to find out the store's closed."

Of course, Santa's kind of a pedophile, since he preys on kids and dumps them when they're adults. They make the handoff somewhere in between, once your earning years start the business of religion takes over. Cradle to the grave, as it were.

What a life.

Ladyred said...

It's not a dead tree yet FYI!

I was just thinking that the Santa guy was pedophilic in nature. I mean come on.....

I am actually looking forward to no TV or at least seriously limited when I move. I am sooooo tired of seeing all the HOLIDAY SALES! and just the mushy gushy perfect holiday shows they put on tv. Give me the Roseanne holiday, because that's about how our family works (just add in the alcoholic and the 30 something who is never moving out of the parents' house).

I do like the tree though. Actually I like the 'pine scent'. No I don't go cutting down the trees. I don't even have a fake one. I am not doing anything this year. Guess that makes me sound like an old crab? *shrugs* I simply have more things to worry about like moving and money and getting a job.

I know it's about giving but other than my time and good nature (hahaha I laugh because this is so not a good-natured week for me), I don't have much else to give.

kimmyk said...

i remember when i took abbie to see the lion the witch and the wardrobe some lady gave me grief about it being anti christian. hellooo.

people are crazy. especially those catholics. their nuts.

that spider is still wiggin' me out anthony. fyi.